Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Nice to Meetcha

I met the man that I would marry in October of 1999. Seemed as good of a date to meet anybody, I suppose.
People were preparing for Y2K (remember that?), Prince's song was played over and over and over....
But what I remember is emailing back and forth with a man that I would soon meet, marry 8 months later and have his first daughter 9 months later.
One thing he has occasionally brought up was the email that engaged him. He had asked me to tell him about myself. The email he was expecting would have been "Well, my hobbies include reading, writing, ice skating, I graduated with a gpa of...." nothing really defining of who I was.
I instead won him over with a gem something like this:
"I like eating Tacos from taco bell at 3 am with my friend, I wish I had the courage to clear the table and dance on it, I live poetry, Dance in my bedroom while singing with a hair brush..."
Some of that is still relevant. However, I no longer enjoy Taco Bell, especially at 3 in the morning.

Fast forward thirteen years. We have two daughters. I sometimes wonder what I would say if I were to send an email trying to introduce myself. Most of my attempts read like a resume "Married Mother of 2 daughters, enjoys long baths and reading. Enjoys exercising and eating healthy. Loves Jesus."
So, I'm going to take a cue from my 18 year old self, and try this approach:

Hello, My name is Amber. Here's a little about me:
I'm spontaneous. I love to be free and surprises are the way to my heart. I love words, eloquent long words that are rarely used anymore. I sleep with a stuffed hippo because I can. I love to wear perfume that reminds me of when I was younger. I d not like make up. When I do, I love to accent my eyes. The greatest joys in my life are my two daughters. I compete in Highland games. I still fall in love with the wrong people though I am completely committed to my husband. I wish I could visit Australia. I am a bit obsessed with Hugh Jackman. My favorite color is green. For fun, I spend way too much time on Facebook and various other sites.
I have returned to school, but failed again. I am hoping for one more attempt. Second hand shopping is my favorite. I love. My house is often cluttered but still somehow feels like home.
I still go weak kneed over my husband's blue eyes. The whiff of a man's cologne in the autumn air takes my breath away.

It's nice to meet you.

2 comments:

  1. Cant wait to read more!! You're a great writer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We shouldn't forget the joy and freedom of our 18 year old selves.

    ReplyDelete